Welcome!

Just about everyday I'm cooking a dinner for my family to enjoy. It's not always the easiest thing to do but it's well worth the trouble to invest in my family's health by cooking at home... and helps save money! My goals are to prepare meals that are healthy, easy, and inexpensive. I also like to incorporate many international style recipes along with traditional American ones to encourage my family to have a wide range of tastes. So, follow me as I cook for my family and share in laughter, love and food!

Buon Appetito! - From my family to yours!


Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Copy-That: Panera's Spiced Butternut Squash Soup!

I know this photo is boooring...it really doesn't capture the complexity of flavors in this soup! By far the best butternut squash soup I've ever had.




Oh man...I have been slacking. I've actually still been taking photos of the food I make, I just need to post them so I'm about to blow up this blog with recipes. Make sure you scroll through any past recipes that you've missed for more dinner ideas!!

I got the base for this recipe from Katie Malcolm (thank you!!) but added a little extra to copy the delicious soup from Panera Bread Co. If any of you haven't had it it's a deliciously aromatic soup with a surprise hint of sweet curry that adds a savory flavor to the otherwise sweet ingredients. My son Mason was begging for seconds!! Get creative and top with your own homemade apple relish or dream up something else! Also serve with toasted bread!

Ingredients
2-3 TBS butter/vegetable oil
1 butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 red apples (I used Gala), peeled and diced
1 carton of chicken stock
Salt
Sweet curry (look for curry with a brownish color - it contains more cinnamon.)

Roughly chop everything and sauté with 2-3 Tablespoons of butter or oil for
20 min or until onions are translucent.

Add 1 carton of chicken stock and simmer for 1 hr.

Blend with an immersion blender, reg blender, or food processor to
desired consistency. Add 1/2-1 cup (or as desired) 2% or whole milk.

Season with salt and curry powder to taste! I think I used about 1/2 to 1 tsp curry powder...Enjoy!

1 comment: